I'm headed to Hamburg, Germany for the 31st Chaos Communications Congress, a week filled with hacking, geekery and strange German food. Thought I would make a post detailing the kit I am bringing with me since I have never done one before.
I was going to bring either my Kifaru Express or the E&E for this trip but I decided to get a new pack. The Express is way too big for the short time I'm away for and I have had issues getting it into a plane overhead locker. The E&E is just a bit too small to fit everything I want to take with me.
Enter the Goruck GR0. Plenty of room to fit what I need yet not unwieldy.
- Clothes in a Kifaru extra large pullout (2 pairs boxer shorts, 2 pairs socks, 2 tshirts, 1 pair sleeping boxers, merino wool thermal top
- 1.2 litre (40oz) Klean Kanteen
- Map of Hamburg
- Notebook, Sharpie and passport
- USB battery, mini and micro USB cables
- Laptop and charger with EU plug (UK one in the photo)
- Kindle (not shown)
- Self aid kit
- Towel, hygiene stuff and tissues
- Tshirt, socks, boxers, trousers, hoodie, boots, hat
- Pen, wallet, phone
Only 2 changes of clothes for a week? Won't you smell? No. The plan is to wash the stuff I wore each day in the shower at the end of the day. Gives me 2 days for everything to dry which is easily doable. Rotate as I go. Trousers can go for a week without being washed though if they get dirty I can wash them and they will be dry in the morning. Gotta love synthetics.
Total pack weight: 10kg. Pack light, go fast.