Wherein we find out about the author's inability to follow instructions

So I've been thinking that I really should learn Lisp. A nice programming language unlike any other I have seen. Clojure is one dialect of Lisp which is targeted at the JVM and .NET CLR. A quick search of the Youtubes revealed a decent video introducing Clojure with a practical example and a quick touch on Leningen.

I started going along with the video a couple days ago when I hit a snag. Errors about not finding files, no such namespace etc. The versions of the libraries I was using were quite old, was that the issue? Has the syntax changed?. The answer is a lot more depressing.

(defroutes (GET "/" request (homepage request)) (GET "/:id" [id] (redirect id)))

Can you see the issue? I coudn't.

(defroutes myroutes (GET "/" request (homepage request)) (GET "/:id" [id] (redirect id)))

I missed a single argument from (defroutes). Literally could have put any old ascii string in there and it would have worked.

2.

Sodding.

Days.

Remember kids, when copying code from a video, make sure to get it all.


Well, today could have gone better

I've just finished working on Serenity for the day. I would have been finished hours ago on a job that was supposed to be about 30 seconds long. I was relocating the aux battery ground point to a seatbelt mount to cut down on the amount of wiring running all over the place.

I was torquing the nut down to the post when suddenly it got very easy to turn. Lifted the wrench off and saw that the post had sheared.

Balls.

Of course, being a Land Rover, things are never that simple to fix. If the post was in fact a bolt that could be removed, this 30 second job would have turned into a mere 5 minute job. Sadly, the post is welded into place.

Cock.

Cue 20 minutes underneath faffing about with the socket set and a spanner removing 2 nuts and bolts that have been covered up with the general crud that accumulates under Land Rovers. Didn't help that I was scraping my knuckles on the outrigger every 10 seconds.

Eventually the bolts came out and after a little prying the plate dropped onto my gut, along with more built up crap from behind it. I must have looked a right state getting out from under Serenity.

The next task was to grind off the remainder of the post and then drill a new hole for a replacement bolt. Easy enough though my drill bits leave a lot to be desired.

Screwfix is a great place to go to get replacement fixings and fittings. Cheap and they do stainless steel nuts and bolts. However, I must have a wee rant about something.

Bolts are sold in packs of 10. Washers in packs of 10. Nuts in packs of 100.

WHY!!!!

What the hell am I gonna do with 100 nuts! I only needed 3! Come on Screwfix, sell nuts in packs of 10! Make it easier for the DIY crowd to get stuff done.

Anyway, I have the bits I need and the plate is drying after having rust and crap ground off and a coat of hammerite.  Need to do the other side but that can wait till tomorrow.

Land Rover Defender ownership is never easy.