A good year ago I bought a cheap dynamo from eBay. The lights that came
with it were utter garbage and I chucked them. The dynamo got installed
and left to linger on the bike.
Over the past couple weeks, I have been tinkering around with the idea
of getting the dynamo running and producing useful power for when I'm
riding. The first generation system was simply a bridge rectifier and
the largest capacitor I had in my parts crate. Pedalling by hand
produced a healthy 20+ volts with no load attached.
Yesterday, my buddy Scott and I had a day off and it was decided that
this project would step up a gear. We decided that the best course of
action would be to get a proper power supply setup rather than a cobbled
together mish-mash amalgamation of random components. There are a number
of things suitable for power generation but nothing really suited 100%.
We decided that a kit from
the best route to go down. It provides for potential expansion in the
future, just need to swap out the regulator. Currently it is capped at 1
amp at 5 volts. If I decide I want more amps, it will cost about £2 to
upgrade. Not bad.
opted to alter the configuration of the components from the kit
defaults. The large capacitor is moved off to the side so that it will
fit in the project box and the regulator is now fitted outside the box
with a heatsink for better cooling.
After fiddling with the adjustment potentiometer (tiny movements are
needed to get to the right voltage) and testing with a sacrificial
device, we test rode the setup.
Need to get the box fastened down properly and everything tidied up, as
well as get a proper mount for my phone but for all intents and
purposes, job done! Not bad for an afternoon's work.