Yesterday, Serenity my Land Rover Defender went through her annual MOT test. I learned my lessons from the first time and made sure to check more thoroughly for failure items. I replaced 2 dust covers and fitted a nut which had gone AWOL due to not being torqued down sufficiently (my fault cause I couldn’t get the tools I had into place to tighten it down).
The first attempt on Saturday was a wash, the tester was off ill. The garage had tried to contact me to no avail. I did get booked for yesterday with no issues though. After an hour and a half of stressing out I gave the garage a call to see what was up (tests only take about an hour).
Cue jumping for joy.
There were a few advisories though. Nothing serious.
- Nearside seat belt damaged but webbing not significantly weakened [5.2.2a]
- Offside seat belt damaged but webbing not significantly weakened [5.2.2a]
- Nearside rear shock absorber has a slightly worn bush [2.7.4]
- Offside rear shock absorber has a slightly worn bush [2.7.4]
- Nearside front drag link end ball joint dust cover deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt [2.2.C.1c]
The seatbelt damage is due to being repeatedly trapped in the door locks. The belts don’t retract quickly enough and tend to snag on the door latching post. Will have to replace the whole assemblies before the next MOT. In the meantime I will attempt to rig up something with shock cord to pull the belts out the way quicker.
Regarding the shock absorbers. Last test I had an advisory that one of the shocks was misting oil. So I replaced both just to be prudent. Sadly, I decided to do it based on cost which resulted in the parts being Britpart.
Those in Land Rover circles will know why they are dubbed Britpart Shitpart. Needless to say I am not surprised that they are wearing out. Quality parts my arse. Will be replaced with some proper gas shocks with proper polybushes at some point.
The dust cover issue isn’t as serious as the advisory makes out. The tester explained that the cover is missing its retaining clip but its being held in place due to friction and pressure from the bottom so its not allowing dust and dirt in. This was my fault. I managed to break the retaining spring when putting it on. Silly thing that it was. Will get a proper retaining clip at some point.
The tester also noted that Serenity “wasn’t leaking much oil”. He remarked that some of the newer Defenders can be a lot worse with regards to oil leaks so I’m pretty happy. The phrase “if its not leaking, you have no fluids” comes to mind.
I’m also happy to report that another advisory from last year got corrected. The exhaust was leaking slightly from one of the joints. Due to the sheer amount of rust on the bolts we opted to cut them off and bodge it back together with a gasket that I don’t remember ordering. Wasn’t in my eBay history and it fit perfectly. If you bought it for me, let me know so I can thank you.
Roadworthy for another year! Now, what else will break…